Dr. Donald Liss, M.D.
Dr. Donald Liss was initially attracted to the entire spectrum of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, to the notion of helping patients in physical distress to regain function and quality of life. However, in the process of co-founding the PM&R Center with his brother Howard in 1986, Dr. Donald Liss sharpened the focus of his practice upon helping to develop a multidisciplinary outpatient treatment center for the management of pain and disability. Having been a resident in Rehabilitation Medicine at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center under his brother Howard’s direction (as Chief Resident), Donald greatly benefited from a broad spectrum of clinical and academic opportunities to hone his skills in diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal disorders.
Dr. Liss believes strongly in the interdependence of sound body and sound mind, physical well being and happiness. Dr. Liss has coached little league teams, been involved as sports consultant to his children’s day school and high school, and has committed himself personally to regular exercise and wellness. His interests include a passion for adventure travel, including hiking in national parks, as well as canoeing, kayaking and rafting. In addition, Dr. Liss has a love of music and performance of all genres, and an interest in wildlife and ecology.
Since the inception of the PM&R Center in 1986, Drs. Howard and Donald Liss have assembled the most talented, committed and compassionate cohort of professionals who work as a team on the treatment of pain and disability. Dr. Donald Liss considers himself truly blessed by his partners, medical colleagues, and the very talented therapists and medical assistants with whom he has the privilege to work on a daily basis. Donald continues to teach at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine and has organized lectures and conferences in the tri-state area and on the national level. He has, along with 2 colleagues, co-authored a chapter, “History and Past Medical History,” in The Low Back Pain Handbooks First and Second Editions, both well-received texts for primary care practitioners.
Dr. Liss was recognized as a Castle Connolly New York Metro Area Top Doctor. Over the past decade, Dr. Liss has also been selected as a Jersey Monthly Top Doctor; a Best Doctors in America Best Doctor in New Jersey; an Inside Jersey Top Doctor; and a New York Magazine Best Doctor in New York. It is a collective honor that less than 1 percent of specialists and subspecialists across the nation enjoy.Learn More About Dr. Liss
- Undergraduate Institution Columbia University, Degree Awarded B.A., Chemistry
(Cum laude) 1975
- Medical School M.D., With Distinctive Wayne State University School of Medicine 1979 (With distinction)
- Year Awarded 1979, Postgraduate Medical Education/Clinical Training/Research
- Sinai Hospital of Detroit, Detroit, MI, 1979-80, Internship in Internal Medicine
- Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, NY, NY, 1980-82, Residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Board Certification American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Medical Licensure New Jersey, New York
Professional Employment Experience
- 1994-1995: Sports Medicine Consultant, Department of Athletics Yeshiva University
- 1994-1995: Director of Musculoskeletal and Sports Rehabilitation, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center New York, NY
- 1982-Present: Attending Physician , Rehabilitation Medicine Department, Englewood Hospital and Medical Center Englewood, NJ
- 1982-Present: Medical Director, Dept of Rehabilitation Medicine Palisades General Hospital, North Bergen, NJ
- 1983-Present: Assistant Clinical Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY
Professional Associations: PASSOR
- New Jersey Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Pain Society
- American College of Sports Medicine
- New Jersey Association of Electromyography and Electrodiagnosis
- Medical Society of Bergen County
- Medical Society of New Jersey
- American Association of Electromyography and Electrodiagnosis
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- New York Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Association of Orthodox Jewish Scientists
- American Medical Association