Dr. Shan Babeendran is a graduate of the New York University Rusk Institute and is board certified in Rehabilitation Medicine. He is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center. His primary focus is in musculoskeletal medicine and electrodiagnostic medicine. Dr. Babeendran is a firm believer that proper care involves a strong relationship between patient and physician. He takes great pride in the fact that he spends time learning about what is important to his patients, and how a particular diagnosis affects their lives.
By training, Dr. Babeendran is an Osteopath. He graduated from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, one of the oldest Osteopathic medical schools in the country. In keeping with the philosophy of Osteopathic Medicine, he also believes in a “whole person” approach to treating patients, not just treating the symptoms. He encourages his patients to minimize the use of medications when possible, embark on healthy and active lifestyles, and suggests adjunct treatments such as Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment, Acupuncture, Massage, Meditation, and Yoga when appropriate.
Dr. Babeendran has been first author on various publications in medical textbooks. He has presented at national conferences across the country, and has given grand rounds lectures at teaching hospitals. He has served as chief resident during his training years, and continues to enjoy teaching students and resident at all levels of their medical careers.
When not treating patients, Dr. Babeendran enjoys spending time with his family, traveling throughout the world, photography, and landscaping.
Dr. Babeendran is licensed to practice medicine in New York and New Jersey. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, as well as an active member of the American Academy of Neuromuscular and Electro diagnostic Medicine.
- New York university, Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation : New York, NY - Resident Physician
- St. Joseph Medical Center : Reading, PA - Intern Physician
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine : Philadelphia, PA - Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine
- New York Institute of Technology : Old Westbury, NY - B.S. Business Administration
- Pain Management and Palliative Care: A comprehensive Guide, Published December 2015, Springer, First Author "Cancer Pain" Chapter
- Rehab Clinical Pocket Guide, Published Nov. 2012, Springer. First Author “Medical Acupuncture” Chapter
- Bifurcated Distal Bicep Tendon: An Isolated Rupture of the Long Head Bicep Brachii Tendon at Insertion Site, Case report accepted to Association of Academic Physiatrists for presentation at national conference 2013
- 68 Y.O Male Develops Immune Hemolytic Anemia, After Receiving IVIG Treatment for Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy, case report accepted to Association of Academic Physiatrists for presentation at national conference 2013
- Immune Reconstitution Inflammatory Syndrome as a Cause of Rapid Neurologic Deterioration in Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy, case report accepted to American Academy of PM&R for presentation at national conference 2012
- “A Case of Dengue Fever in the North East”, first place award winning poster presentation, Berks County Medical Society 2011
Grand Rounds Presentation
- Manhattan Veterans Affairs
- Chief Resident Brooklyn VA Hospital, Rehabilitation Service
- Chief Resident Bellevue Hospital, Rehabilitation Service
- Chief Resident Manhattan VA Hospital, Rehabilitation Service
- Chief Resident New York University Rusk Institute
- Chief House Staff Council New York University Rusk Institute
Licensure / Certifications
- New York State Medical License
- New Jersey State Medical License
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Board Certification
- 2015-Current : Bergen Indian Medical Alliance Health Fair, Volunteer Physician
- 2011-2012 : Physician Liason to Pre/Post-Operative Bariatric Program
- 2009 : Student Athlete Health Screenings Philadelphia, Volunteer
- 2007-2009 : Big Brother Mentoring Program, Volunteer
- 2008 : Relay for Life American Cancer Society, Coordinator
- 2008 : Westchester Malayalee Association Health Fair, Volunteer
- 2006-2008 : Sound Shore Medical Center Annual Health Fair, Coordinator
Honors / Awards
- Top Doctor Award, 201 Family Magazine (2017)
- Top Doctor Award, Bergen Magazine (2017)
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - High Honors Clinical Rotations
- New York Institute of Technology - Award of Superior Academic Achievement, Award for Excellence in MIS, High Scholastic Attainment Award, Award of Excellence, Presidential Service Award