Dr. Thomas Riolo is double board certified in Physiatry by the American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, as well as the American Board of Osteopathic Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. He attended New York College of Osteopathic Medicine and graduated in 2010. He performed his residency in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at New York University Langone Medical Center in New York. He also served as Chief Resident at Bellevue Hospital and Manhattan Veterans Association Medical Center. He then completed a subspecialized fellowship training in Interventional Spine and Sports Medicine at Mount Sinai Beth Israel Hospital System in New York.
Dr. Riolo has written multiple book chapters on spinal conditions and treatments and has edited a textbook on musculoskeletal medicine. He has participated in several research studies. He has presented a multitude of case reports at the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Annual Assembly and the Association of Academic Physiatrists Annual Conference.
Dr. Riolo is a member of the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPMR), American Osteopathic College of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AOCPMR), American Osteopathic Association (AOA), New York Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (NYSPMR), and Spine Intervention Society (SIS). He has served on the executive and legislative board for the New York Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. He also served as Vice President for the Osteopathic College of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Resident Council.
Dr. Riolo is a Volunteer Attending at Nassau University Medical Center and has a strong interest in teaching residents and medical students alike. He has given multiple lectures on different topics within the gamut of Spinal and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation.
Education / Training
- 2006-2010 : New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, Westbury, NY - Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
- 2001-2005 : Dominican College, Orangeburg, NY - Bachelor of Arts in Biology (Honors Program)
- 2014-2015 : Mount Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center - Orthopedic Sports Rehabilitation and Interventional Spine Fellow
- 2011-2014 : New York University Langone Medical Center, Ruck Institute - Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Resident
- 2010-2011 : Plainview Hospital - Traditional Rotating Osteopathic Intern
Certification / Examinations
- Board Certified American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitiation
- Board Certified American Osteopathic Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitiation
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Basic Life Support Certified
- New York State License NO: 274398
- New York City Marathon - Medical Volunteer
- New York Road Runners Brooklyn Half Marathon - Medical Volunteer
- Congers Valley Cottage Volunteer Ambulance Corps - Emergency Medical Technician
Case Reports / Presentations
- “Immune Reconstitution Inflammatory Syndrome as a Cause of Rapid Neurologic Deterioration in Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy: A Case Report." Brian Forzani, M.D., Jackson Liu, M.D., Thomas Riolo, D.O., Shan Babeendran, D.O., Robert Petrucelli, M.D.
- "33 Year Old Female Demonstrating Deterioration of Trabecular Bone Microarchitecture on High Resolution 3T
MRI: A Case Report”, Thomas Riolo D.O Jeffrey Heckman D.O, Brian Forzani M.D., Shan Babeendran D.O, Joanna Becker M.D
- "60 Year Old Male Develops Immune Hemolytic Anemia After Receiving IVIG Treatment for Treatment of Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy: A Case Report" Shan Babeendran D.O., Jeffrey Cohen M.D, Thomas Riolo D.O, Brian Forzani M.D.
- “Atypical Variant of Guillain-Barre Syndrome in a Pediatric Patient: A Case Report." Thomas Riolo D.O., Dellene Kornitsky - Troy D.O., Christopher Boudakian D.O., Joan Gold M.D.
- “A Pediatric Patient with Idiopathic Demyelinating Leukoencephalopathy Treated with Acute Inpatient
Rehabilitation: A Case Report.” Dellene Kornitsky-Troy D.O , Thomas Riolo D.O. , Renat Sukhov M.D, Julia Megan
Teaching Experience / Educational Symposiums
- 5/20/2015 : “Platelet Rich Plasma Science & Background” Mount Sinai 2nd Annual Spine Conference, New York, NY
- 8/27/2012 : “Complex Regional Pain Syndrome”; Veterans Association: Manhattan Campus, New York
- 12/26/2012 : “Myoelectric Hand Prosthesis”; Veterans Association: Brooklyn Campus, Brooklyn, NY
- 4/20/2013 : “Osteopathic Manipulation in Spinal Cord Injury”; American Osteopathic College of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Midyear Meeting - Atlanta, Georgia
- 6/5/2013 : “Intervertebral Disc Disease and Platelet Rich Plasma”; New York University: Rusk Institute, New York, NY
- “Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Resident Workshop”; Technical Instructor- New York University: Rusk Institute, New York, NY
- 4/17/2014 : “Osteopathic Manipulation for Runners” American Osteopathic College of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Midyear Meeting - Atlantic City, NJ